Monday, August 2, 2010

So Tell Me, How Do You Veal?

I've never done much with veal at home.  Thought I would give this a try.  It's a very nice veal with cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.  According to the "Veal Information Gateway" website:
"Veal: gram for gram, contains less calories and half the fat of lean beef, yet contains similar amounts of micronutrients like vitamins and minerals. It is a good source of protein, vitamin B12 and zinc."
More often than not, I would only have veal when dining out.  Never really thought of it as something I make at home. Not sure why but that has been the way of it.  What's confounding about this is the fact that veal is an easy meat to prepare, although it is just as easy to over cook.  Otherwise it is a fast, fresh and healthy meal.  The dish I prepared last night was very light and made a wonderful summer dish.  Served with rice and a salad of mixed greens and ground cherries.  I would suggest that pasta is the best way to enjoy it.  The light sauce with pasta would have been lovely.

While veal can be costly - the four small veal cutlets I prepared last night cost a bit over 11 dollars. (CDN)   When looking at them, one might think that it would not be enough; I assure you it was and we left the table very satisfied indeed.  I did add some extra spice to the flour dredge.  I added some cayenne pepper and chipotle chili pepper powder.  I should mention as well that I had not realized my cupboard was bare of basil, so I used bay leaf instead which worked very well.  I had gotten this recipe from the Internet, but sadly forgot what site it was from.  I will endeavor to keep better track of my sources. Bon apetit!


Ingredients:

  • 1 pound thinly sliced veal cutlets
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 10 to 15 grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
  • 4 large basil leaves, chopped, or about 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil

Preparation:

Pound the cutlets gently to thin to about 1/8-inch thickness; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Dredge cutlets in flour.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the cutlets for about 2 to 3 minutes, turning once. Remove the cutlets to a plate and keep warm. Reduce heat to medium-low.

Add the mushrooms to the pan and sauté for about 2 minutes; add garlic and sauté for a few more seconds.

Add chicken broth and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes to reduce by about a third. Add the veal, green onions, tomatoes, and basil; cover and simmer for 1 minute longer.
Serve with hot cooked pasta or potatoes.
Serves 4.

No comments: