Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mushy Mango?

Yesterday as I thought about what to make for dinner, my mind drifted to a couple of mangos I had popped into the fridge.  They had reached their perfect ripeness, but we were leaving for the weekend.  What's a boy to do?  I popped them in the fridge to slow the ripening to a snail's pace.  Fast forward a week - there they were, staring up at me from the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.   Dang - forgot about the little fellas.  Now what?  I found that they were to "mushy" to eat as they were, but they were not unusable.

As I contemplated tonight's dinner my mind drifted to the always perfect answer to the dinner question - chicken!  What could go better with a lightly floured fried chicken but a lovely spicy mango sauce?  I had all I needed in the pantry.  Below you will find a basic recipe.  I added extra spice as we like things "HOT" in our house.  Also, if you don't have fresh mango, you can use frozen as well.  You also will want to add more or less brown sugar depending on the sweetness of the mango. 

Another suggestion - slowly simmer the sauce once it is together and finish seasoning it after it has some warmth to it.  The flavors wake up much more when heated.  This sauce is also great for wraps the next day - hmmm - yum!  Of course as always, when you make something yourself you have control over the amounts of sugar and sodium.  Most store bought sauces have incredible amounts of both.

Ingredients:

2 Mangos (or two cups frozen chunks)
1 Red Chili, de-seeded and diced or 1 tsp chili sauce or 1/2 tsp dried crushed chili.
1 Tbsp rice vinegar or white ( you can also use apple cider)
1 1/2 Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Fish Sauce
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Thumb sized piece of Ginger, sliced
4 Cloves Garlic
1/4 tsp Tumeric
Zest of 1 lime

Directions:

Combine all ingredients into a blender and puree.  Pour into sauce pan and gently heat.  Taste and add more brown sugar or red chili if needed.  If you want a to kick it up to the roof, use a habanaro pepper. Remember you can use other fruits for this sauce.  Peach would work very nicely as well.  As always - use your imagination.  Einstein once said: "Imagination is more important than knowledge".  I agree.  Without imagination how will you use your knowledge?

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a great idea, Larry. I found your blog via the Foodbuzz Project Food Blog competition. I’ve been browsing through your earlier entries and must tell you how much I love the food, photos and recipes you feature here. I’ll be back to see your entry for the next leg of the competition. I hope you are having a great day. Good luck and blessings…Mary